Greenhouses represent the most appropriate solution for plants that are not restricted to a specific period of time, and whose demand continues throughout the year, as is the case with onions, as onions are one of the most famous types of vegetables in the world, due to its many health benefits, in addition to its uses Multiple.. What is the best way to grow onions inside a greenhouse? What are the appropriate climatic and environmental conditions?
- Onion is a plant of the garlic family, and it has a pungent smell because it contains volatile sulfur substances.
- It is also a biennial plant.
- Onions contain high levels of antioxidants and vitamin E.
- It protects against diabetes and strengthens the immune system.
- Besides being an essential nutrient, this can be used in slices or powder, and can also be cooked and eaten.
Cultivation of onions in greenhouses
As for its cultivation inside the greenhouse, it requires a set of climatic controls and conditions, so that the greenhouse becomes ready for the production of this type of plants..
Adequate dates for planting onions in a greenhouse
- Onion seeds are planted from mid-August to the end of September.
- After about two months, that is, during the months of October and November, the seedlings can be transferred to the permanent land.
- Onions can be grown in all types of lands, provided they contain well-drained soil.
- It is preferable to grow it inside yellow lands in cooled greenhouses.
- As for the method of preparing the soil; This is done by plowing it two or three times, and working to soften it well.
- Taking care to add manure before making the last plow.
- Then, the soil of the greenhouse is divided into basins, in which the seeds are placed and covered with a thin layer of soil before watering.
Temperatures and Lighting
- Onions need to be grown at a low temperature, so they are transferred to the nursery during the winter.
- At the level of illumination; Greenhouse doors are supposed to be designed to allow natural light into the interior.
- But sometimes this action is not enough.
- And here farmers need to provide an additional source of light inside the greenhouse.
The composting process
- In this step, compost is best avoided; Because it will not be able to provide the necessary nutrients to the soil.
- There are some stages that the onion fertilization process goes through inside greenhouses.
- For example, you should start mixing superphosphate, triple superphosphate and calcium hydroxide with the soil.
- The farmer also needs to know the types of fertilizers that are slow to decompose, or that the soil does not absorb easily.
- In addition to using a ratio of 1500:1000 of carbon dioxide, especially in the winter season; The greenhouse is closed for long periods, which leads to a decrease in the proportion of carbon dioxide inside it, and thus harms the plants.
In addition to these basic conditions for growing onions in greenhouses, there are some things that would improve the cultivation process and the quality and quantities of production, such as making sure that the farmer uses the drip irrigation system, or that he provides some special shelves to allow him to harvest larger quantities of the crop. .and others.