Greenhouses.. It seems that there is a popular awareness that coincides with government awareness in many Arab countries of the importance of greenhouses at the agricultural and economic levels. After the story of “Sheikha Al-Dosari“; The Saudi girl who was keen to restore life to a group of protected houses owned by her father, we find ourselves in front of a new story whose hero is an Emirati citizen, who decided to turn his house into an agricultural reserve..
- UAE citizen Obaid Al Shamsi was able to convert part of his home yard into a hydroponic farm.
- This area was designated for the production of various vegetables and fruits.
- It has already succeeded in reaching a large amount of domestic vegetable production, until it reached the point of self-sufficiency in vegetables.
- Al-Shamsi is also keen to distribute quantities of his production to friends and acquaintances.
Homes protected by personal efforts
- It was not just his agricultural skill; Al Shamsi was able to design his own greenhouses.
- In more detail, he designed the greenhouse inside one of the huge containers, then provided it with three shelves or floors, before placing the water distribution network and the rest of the necessary equipment and devices below them.
- As for those devices; He has invented some modern systems that allow him to monitor the temperature and humidity inside the house, relying on his mobile phone!
- About 7 years ago, Al Shamsi says, “I started learning about the design of greenhouses specialized in the production of various agricultural crops.”
- He added, “I made sure to provide my house in Al-Safia with a greenhouse with different heating and cooling devices, while linking these devices to a mobile phone, allowing to monitor the temperature and humidity inside.”
“Al Shamsi” selects the Hydroponics
- Obaid chose hydroponics, or the so-called “hydroponic” system.
- It is agriculture that does not need soil for its implementation, but rather is based on growing plants in water or a solution provided with all the nutrients necessary for growth.
- As for why he chose her; This is due to the ability of this type of cultivation to save large amounts of water, up to about 95%.
A hobby turns into a profession
- After his personal experience, Al Shamsi started working in the field of designing and constructing greenhouses for people wishing to convert some areas of their homes into greenhouses.
- He also participated in many agricultural products fairs to showcase his personal experience.
- In addition to holding some training workshops for people of determination and other citizens, in cooperation with the Ministry of Community Development.
- These courses aimed to familiarize citizens with hydroponics and the methods of designing and constructing greenhouses.
Al Shamsi’s ambitions did not stop there; It seeks to implement many specialized and residential farms in the Emirati city of “Ajman”, with the aim of producing large quantities of vegetables and fruits, in a way that achieves food security and self-sufficiency.